Sunday, September 25, 2011

Project: "everybody DOOM: ode to MFDOOM"

"everybody DOOM: ode to MFDOOM"
A toy statue project inspired by the Super Villain

Project by: Anwar Bey-Taylor - http://mindtravelerdesign.com


Introduction: 
This is a toy statue project inspired by MFDOOM, hiphop artist. In this project blog I will be sharing the process of the project, documenting from the conception to the finished physical statue and delivery of the entire project.

Who is MFDOOM?:
MFDOOM (also know as DOOM) is a talented creative hip-hop artist. He produces beats and writes amazing lyrics for his music that is thought provoking, substantial, and often time absolutely hilarious. Inspired by comic books like the Fantastic Four, he often refers to himself as the Super Villain, wearing a metal mask and is never seen without it.

With links supplied below you will be able to familiarize yourself a little with the signature DOOM sound:
DEADBENT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL5cun2kQ6M
DOOMSDAY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRHyBwNtkLA
CELLZ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T2F7YkRKN4&feature=player_embedded#!


Why create "everybody DOOM: ode to MFDOOM"?:
I feel like the fans of doom need a piece of art that really illustrates and brings to light what DOOM and the idea of DOOM is all about. DOOM was created for everybody. DOOM is hip-hop. DOOM is real.

In an interview with MuchMusic in Vancouver, Canada some years ago DOOM was asked his thoughts about the state of hip-hop and why he wears a mask. He replies stating that hip-hop is not about the rhymes and beats anymore but instead it has turned into being all about marketing, products, image, and sales. He feels like hip-hop is about "everything except for what the music sounds like...". He feels like the mask erases all that distraction and allows the listener to be able to focus on the beats and rhymes.

"The mask is really a testament to... YO! Its not about none of that, its about the wreck. You could be any color or whatever. The mask represents everybody..." - MFDOOM (2004).
(Link to MuchMusic interview here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfh0lPX22A4)

By wearing the mask DOOM becomes a Super Villain, one of raw unconstrained hip-hop creation, a faceless creativity that the world can apply to themselves. For me DOOM is a well executed idea, one that everyone can be a part of, everybody villain, everybody raw unconstrained creativity, everybody DOOM.



Creation


Phase 1 - The Brainstorm:
I came up with the project while I was up late one night drinking beers. At first I had no idea what it was going to look like. I only knew I wanted to depict the feeling of everyone being able to harness the thought process of DOOM, the villain. It then occurred to me that the mask was the primary tool of transformation, like the mask in that Jim Carrey movie entitled "The Mask" (1994).



The images that came to mind as the most substantial were those moments right before Jim would put the mask on. In my slightly drunken state I wrote using, Evernote on my tablet, the following image prototype.

"Its a 3d model, physical print idea.
The model: A hip (cool/SWAG) person (starting with as female) standing in excitement (huge smile on their face; a devilishly excited grin is their expression) straight stance (but unconsciously crooked from every angle we as the viewer see it from) with arms stretched out in front of body (like holding up a hoped for gift at xmas before pulling it close for the embrace of a lifetime) grasped in the hands is the DOOM mask only moments before being pressed against the face of the soon to be Supervillain (think the 'The Mask - Jim Carrey). We are all super villains and all love the Supervillain, therefore the model is us, thus the model is him MFDOOM hence the title "Everybody DOOM". ;-)
Additional functionality from a primary creation standpoint. As follows:
- Swap-able heads will allow the possibility of creating various heads (male/female/custom unique faces)
- Swap-able torso to be able to implement female and male torso part
- swap-able hands to implement female hands with nails and male hand with man nails
Excitement ;-)."

And that's that for writing.

Phase 2 - Creating the Model:


Reference:
The first model was to be a female. I searched for lots of reference online. I wanted her to be modern and contemporary in clothing style, so the hipster sites were some of the first places I checked.
One of the sites that I really fell in love with for female fashion was: http://thefashionhipster.tumblr.com/
One of my favorite sites for male fashion was: http://streetetiquette.tumblr.com/ but the male model will come later. I also really enjoy artist Pior Oberson's female figure creation: http://pioroberson.com/svgalleries/piorfemale/piorfemale.html her buxom attributes were definitely traits I wanted to keep in mind during this creation process.

After all the reference was gathered I created a "Flavor sheet" which looked like this.


Modeling:
I started the model in Zbrush, using Zspheres. I then moved onto basic sculpting and I sketched out what the overall look would look like, all in Zbrush.


Then based on the sketch created in Zbrush, I then created a base mesh in 3dsMax.


Now I entered Mudbox to create the actual sculpture (80%). I decided to use Mudbox at this point because simply it is easier for me to get the strong simplistic bold shapes I wanted using this program.


The model was then exported into Zbrush. Zbrush was then used for the last 20% of the model. In Zbrush I added some details, solidified some forms, used transpose for a few pose tweaks, and I rendered her in Zbrush as well. The model was also cut up into pieces, separating the arms and head from the body to make it easier when I start printing.




Phase 3 - Prototype Printing

Recently with the help of my good friend and fellow artist Kenny Kong, I was able to get my first physical print prototype of the "everybody DOOM" model. Here you can see I only printed one of the arms, be it that printing can be expensive and this was only to check and see how things were going thus far on a real life model level. This is such a learning experience for me. I can now see where I need to revise and make corrections at, I would like for the forms to be very obvious in this model and for everything to read as much as possible at first glance. I like what has been accomplish thus far but I am looking forward to making corrections and getting better results. Fixes, revisions, and a better model coming soon!



UPNEXT - Fixes & revisions: Coming SOON!

More updates coming soon. Thanks for Looking. - Anwar Bey-Taylor


No comments:

Post a Comment